Friday, January 11, 2013

Teaching By The Spirit

Part of a letter Shane sent to his Mom and asked us to share;

So my companion woke up at 5 AM and started throwing up. The rules say that if you're sick AT ALL,even a little, you gotta stay in the residence. But my companion was determined to go to class anyway, even after the DL begged him to obey the rules and stay here. I knew that our teacher kick us out of class anyway, so I told him that, and that's all I said on the matter.
So we went to class! And yes the teacher asked us to leave, but he said he would allow us to teach his investigator before we left. And this is what I wanted to tell you about. Every lesson before hand have basically just been me checking things off my agenda. Not actually teaching teaching the person and teaching to their needs. And it's not like I was trying to teach that way, I just didn't understand how to do it right. Heck I still don't really understand! But it is coming, line upon line, it's coming. So anyway, I am aware that I don't teach that well, that the Spirit isn't ever guiding me much because I'm not listening, and that my lessons have lots and lots of room for improvement. So I pray for help all day, help to teach the person and not the wall. And today, something changed. Today when we taught our teacher, ( his investigator's name is Carlos), we taught HIM, and it went into his heart! I felt the Spirit in that lesson and it was strong! Mom, this was the most wonderful feeling ever! It made all of the struggles and hard times I've had so far worth it! The feeling I had during and after the lesson was amazing. Feeling the Spirit in the room, testifying to Carlos that this is true, that we are Missionaries of Jesus Christ, and that through baptism he can be blessed and happy. Feeling that was absolutely incredible! Incredible! This is why missionaries love being missionaries! They're helping people change, they're helping them be happy and they're bringing that happiness to their investigators lives! Ah it is so amazing Mom! I'm sure you know what I'm talking about seeing as you've been there.
So after our lesson our teacher gave us feedback. He was very pleased with the progress we made. He said he wanted us to write down what happened, how it made us feel, and how we think we got there. So I did that! I came to many conclusions, all of which came back to me being blessed by the Lord.
However, the biggest and most influential blessing that I received, I think, is the gift of charity. Every day for the last few days I have been finding it easier to love those around me. I am more patient and able to work better with everyone. I pray every day, multiple times, for the gift of charity. I'm realizing how selfish and impatient of a person I am. Having charity will help me to change and not have those negative attributes. I don't like being this kind of person, impatient, unloving, selfish and rude. None of that makes me feel good. I'd much rather be the person that is extremely nice and just loves everybody. I desire that so much, and I pray for help in this area every night. And now I am seeing that the Lord wants the same thing, I have aligned my will with His , and I am starting to receive blessings because of it. Being loving and nice, full of charity, is something I greatly desire because it can literally help me in all aspects of my life. It will help me be a better companion and missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment