Monday, March 25, 2013

Training!!

hola familia!

     Where do I even begin?? I can´t believe that I´m training already. It´s an incredibly daugnting (spelled right?) task. We had a trainers training with Pres. Deere the day I picked up my son, and he played a clip of an address given to mission presidents by Elder Holland. Elder Holland said that of all the leadership position decisions a president could make throughout his time in the mission, who he picks as a trainer is the most important. Depending on how a missionaries training goes, you can get a glimpse of how the rest of his mission will go, and to some extent, the rest of his life. Yikes! Talk about loading on the pressure! Elder Holland is sort of infamous for that.

     Elder Flores is from Mexico City, Mexico. He´s 18 years old, has a brother serving in Boise Idaho, understands a lot of English but doesn't speak that well, and including his time in the MTC and this week with me, has been on his mission for three weeks. He´s super awesome, I freaking love him! He´s like a stinking scriptorian, he´s got tons of scriptures memorized, it´s super helpful in lessons because that is one thing I definitely struggle with: memorizing references. He´s a super good listener which is extremely helpful because I´m still struggling with understanding. It´s such a blessing to be with Elder Flores because he really helps me with my Spanish  and he came super prepared. We've been teaching with unity from day one. He´s a super stud! He´s having a little trouble adjusting to mission life and the different culture, but that´s okay because there are still things that I am having trouble with! Like the lack of a drying machine for my clothes. We have to hang everything. Stinking annoying!

My First Son
     One funny thing about Elder Flores is that he´s a bit of a neat-freak. Like´s everything super organized and orderly. Everyone knows that missionaries can live a bit messily at times, so when Elder Flores got to our apartment the first night, he was straight up disgusted! He´s been cleaning almost non-stop since arriving here and the apartment looks amazing ha ha. So thank you Elder Flores.

     At first I was extremely overwhelmed at this call, but I´m a lot better now. I´m just going to focus on each individual day and how I can make it the absolute best that I can. And by accomplishing that goal, each day will be good which means we´ll have good weeks, and eventually good transfers! Just gotta remember to exercise patience with myself and Elder Flores because we´re both still new and learning! But we´re the Lord´s messengers and He´s going to help us with all that we need.

     So one funny story before I leave. Elder Keller, when we were together, he talks in his sleep a lot. On our last night together, I woke up to him shouting "there´s a spider on the wall! next to the door and it´s HUGE! Kill it man!" and I said "no way I hate spiders, you kill it!" to which he replied "no I can´t it´s too big. Elder Estrada will get it." (Elder Estrada was our zone leader who was in Granada about 50 miles away...) to which I said " are you joking? Estrada isn't here!" I then asked him if I could turn on the light to inspect this spider problem we were having, and he said yes. I turned on the light and found no spider, and Elder Keller laying down in his bed. After a moment, he rose and asked me what I was doing and why I had turned the light on. He was straight up having a conversation with me in his sleep!! Seriously one of the funniest things that´s happened to me yet on my mission.

     All things are going well here in Jaén. President said that if the work keeps progressing, he´s going to put two more missionaries in Jaén, which would be fantastic. So that´s our goal right now. Work as hard as we can and give president a reason to put more missionaries here! So please pray for our success so we can reach our goal!

     That´s it for me. I´m glad to hear McKay had a good experience at the temple. I definitely miss the temple and wish there was one in the mission. That´s alright, I´ll have plenty of time to go after the mish. I love you all and hope everyone is doing great! I´ll talk to you next week!

con amor,

Elder Webb


No comments:

Post a Comment