Monday, November 18, 2013

November 18, 2013

Hola familia!

 
I am still amazed, each and every week at how much the Lord blesses us and the miracles that we see! Miracle number one. Thursday was weekly planning, so we were in the piso planning the next week, and making a few calls. We saw a number of a man that the previous elders had contacted some three years ago, and decided to give it a call. Turns out that the man, David, is in Madrid and can´t meet with us. No big deal. Last night we were trying to contact some futures we had and they weren´t home, so we went to the streets to contact people when we saw a younger couple, Nano and Raquel and decided to talk to them. We sat down at a park bench and taught them lesson one and they were really great people, they accepted a book of mormon and agreed to meet with us again. Turns out that they´re friends with our investigator Toni, the one who almost got baptized! But what´s even more crazy was that Nano is a nickname, and his real name is David. and it is the same David that we had called a few days earlier. WHAT ARE THE ODDS?? Too big to be coincidence. The Lord Jesus Christ and His Spirit lead this great work, I¨m sure of it. 

 
Miracle number 2. The Lord has led us to some really prepared people. Jose Carlos, one of the young kids woke up Sunday morning with some ankle issues (he plays rugby). He originally wasn´t going to come, but after talking to him on the phone he agreed to walk with us. Well we went to his house when we get a call from him and he says "hey Elders, where are you? I¨m at the church but you´re not here!" What´s even cooler though, is that HE BROUGHT A FRIEND! They stayed for all three hours and afterwards we were talking about Jose´s baptism next week when out of nowhere his friend Ernesto says "I want to be baptized with him too. Can I be baptized the same day?" What?! Jose has been sharing the gospel with his friends and Ernesto liked church and that was enough for him, he´s getting baptized! Huge miracle! For the first time on my mission, we set a baptismal date without even extending the invitation! It was given to us! 
 

Over this transfer I´ve been focusing a lot on humility and having the Spirit. I though before that I could do this work with the skills and abilitites that I naturally posses. It took me until now to learn that that is not so, and that in fact I don´t get very far with just my talents. I need the Spirit and I need to submit myself to His will in order to become an instrument in His hands. The constant companionship of the Spirit is most important, and for the first time in my life I feel the Spirit constantly. I understand now what that phrase means, but even more, I understand what it´s like. I¨ve come to realize that a life guided by the Spirit, with His influence and presence is one of the most important things we could seek after right now. I understand now why some prophets like Joseph Smith and Brigham Young have said that the gift of the Holy Ghost is one of the greatest gifts to man. The Spirit I have been feeling these last couple of weeks has been amazing, and something that I never want to lose, for the rest of my life! 
 

Last thing, my companion and I have decided that we were friends in the preexistance. We both like the same things, we both think the same way, we both have the same desires and dreams, and the same faults to work on. We get along better with each other than with any other person in the mission. He is my best friend ha. But the deal breaker was this. Elder Peroni was born May 5th and I was born May 6th! We were up there hanging out when they called for us to come down to earth and I had to give Elder Peroni a shove infront to make sure that he would come down, that´s why he was born one day before me. Serisouly though, the mission is so much better when you have a companion that you get along with, that has the same vision, and that is honestly your friend. Love it!

 
Well I¨ve talked enough. I love you all and hope that you enjoy Thanksgiving this week. I will be here. Not eating turkey. No one celebrates that day, and I don´t have enough money nor time to buy the neccessary things. So eat a couple platefuls for me! And remember to thank Heavenly Father everyday, not just this Thursday, because He blesses us every single day! We just need to open our eyes, and sometimes try a little harder to look for it. I love you family! Have a splendid week!
 

Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment