Monday, February 11, 2013

Jaen - with Photos!

Hola familia!
 
Holy stinking moley Spain is incredible! When I entered the MTC, this point seemed so far away, like it would never come. Now, I can hardly believe that I¨m actually here! This place is amazing!
Plane ride was fine, I was able to sleep for a little while and we had no problemss in Paris. As you know, my comp is Elder Keller. He´s a super stud from Blackfoot Idaho and we have a ton in common. He´s been out for almost one year (on the 15th). We are the only Elders in this area, and for about an hour in each direction. Jaén is a way cool city built on a mountain, high up in the Spanish mountians. It´s pretty stinking cold here actually, something I was not prepared for haha. However previous missionaries have left a lot of things here, so I´m taken care of. They produce olives here in Jaén and there are litterally millions of olive trees surrounding the city, in every direction, for miles and miles. Where we live is called a piso and it´s a tiny little "flat" in a good part of town. They don´t have central air here in Spain, and it gets cold in Jaén, so our piso is freezing in the mornings, kinda funny because I thought I would be coming to nice sunny and warm Spain. But in my first area I´m freezing my tail off.
 
Bob asked if I understand anything, and the answer to that is a big ol´fat NO. I literally cannot understand a word anyone says. I´m always asking my comp for help. There is one family from Mexico that I can sort of understand, but everyone else, I have no hope. They speak so differently here. Along with the lisp (which actually sounds cool when a Spaniard uses it, but not us gringo Americans), the Spaniards cut of the ends of a lot of words, so half the time I don´t even recognize what the heck they´re saying to me! It´s going to take a while to adjust to this, but I´m having a ton of fun none the less!
 
I arrived in Jaén on Friday night and we went teaching right when we got here. We taught this family from Bolivia, and the wife had a date to be baptized, but not the husband, so I invited him to be baptized a week after his wife. He said he would if he knew in his heart that this is true. So not a super firm commitment, but we´re making progress. Bolivians are just lazy, so we´ll be patient with them. There is another family that we are teaching that is super super cool, totally interested. However the husband is from Spain, and so just really stubborn and takes a lot of work to make changes, but we´re also making progress with them.
 
Sunday was great, taking the sacrament felt good, something familiar. I intruduced myself and bore my testimony during sacrament meeting. There is a small chapel in Jaén with a branch of about 70 members, but elder Keller and I are going to raise that number so that they can become a ward! and when things like that happen, missionary work takes off. People get excited and want to help the missionaries and be involved in missionary work, so please pray for the people in Jaén!
 
This is my address:
Calle Nuestra Senora del Perpetuo Soccorro, 40
23009, Jaén (Jaén)
Spain.
 
You can send me letters straight to my piso if you want. Also, the order of the words are not arranged in any special way, so you might want to look up this address on google maps to see how they need to be arranged for letters and what not. (We Checked and the address is good!)
So that´s that! I hope this was all the information you were hoping for! If not, just let me know and I¨ll do better next time! Hey I love you all! Keep up the good work at home! Talk to you next week!
con amor,
Elder Webb

 
this is a castle that is in Jaén on top of a mountain


Another picture of Castle




Three Generations. Elder Webb (Newbi), Elder Keller (Trainer), Elder Valenzuela (Keller's Trainer)
 
Photos we found of Jaen on the internet


Map of Jaen


Castillo de Santa Catalina in Jaen



Catedral Jaen
Jaen


 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shane:

    The language will come. One day you will realize that thinking and praying in English is actually hard. I remember transferring from The Netherlands to Belgium and having to learn a whole new way to pronounce things. Just do as much as you can in Spanish and it will become natural.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete